Saturday 17 April 2010

Not much training and some over-educated nutters

Well, not blogged much for a while. The training has for various reasons died a bit, but will be back on track one my normal life routine is re-established (and there is the crap of only one person in my room again so that I have some room to train!). However I have not been utterly idle.
There has been one run - not entirely successful - my mindset has gone a bit on that one, but I think this can be sorted. I have been grossly underestimating the amount of time it takes to get fit, and therefore being disappointed at my lack of progress. But this can be dealt with.

There was a surf fitness class - and for the first time I was complimented on my progress by the coach (who mainly ignores me). This felt good. My progress in the pool has been dramatic - in September I couldn't really swim properly, now I'm in the surfing fitness classes working on my survival techniques. I had a go at a forward roll underwater for the first time - didn't really work, but that's ok, I try to give something I can't do a go most weeks in the class so I can start learning how to do them.

Last night there was Jitsu. Those who know me will remember that I met up with the University Jitsu club a few months back, watched a lesson and decided I probably wouldn't survive, which was sad as they seemed a nice bunch of people and a generally sound martial art (all my grappling is abominable). However, a few months of fairly dedicated training and I am no longer feeling like I was put together by Mcgyver on a bad day so, with my other half in town, I thought I'd join him at class. I was really very nervous, I've not tried breakfalling for about 14 years and I was pretty bad at it then. However, they teach it in a different way to the last people I trained with, so I was pleased with the results, not as disastrous as I thought. It was also a good workout.

I'm not giving up boxing - I enjoy it, but I think the two are complimentary, so am thinking I will go back next Friday - at least give it a couple of goes. They are a nice bunch of people to - the sort of over-educated nutters I have been missing a bit.

1 comment:

  1. If you try both that and some boxing you should be well suited to joining the Bartitsu craze if you so wish.

    ReplyDelete