Thursday 10 June 2010

Broken

Well the ankle injury healed, and I was just getting back into my training. It was all going well, then I put my knee out.
Not good.
What caused it was an intensive session of breakfalling, which I am basically rubbish at. Two hours later I've put my (good) knee out.
Not only can I still not breakfall, but I am off training for a good bit, and apparently the smart money says I won't be back. Apparently it is not common for people to go back after crawling off the mat a blubbering mess.
I'm so angry with my leg, with myself, and a bit with the guy who was teaching me for pushing me till I broke. (I tend to collapse onto my leading leg, landing on my knee, after doing this for two hours, its not surprising it went)
I'm angry with myself as this wouldn't have happened if I wasn't scared of breakfalling, which is why I was having a two hour session. I could do it on a big fluffy crash mat, but then lost all confidence on the proper mats and started collapsing again. Yes I knew the problem was in my head, but that didn't help me fix it. Having spent a great deal of my early years being told not to do things that would lead to me falling over and hurting myself has not helped.
And now I'm here, in my room, strapped and limping again. Wondering if that's the end of jitsu for me.
Right now I think there's a chance I might.
I limped off from my first western martial arts competition in tears (ok it took my a few years ) but I went back
I crawled out of my first boxing session in tears - but I went back
Now - the times of jitsu training make it incompatible with having a job, which is a bit shit, so there was a chance I was always going to have to finish come July.
We shall see - though any encouragement that could be sent right now would be welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you have been injured, and hope that you recover soon.

    My experience of the Jitsu Foundation is that they seem very keen on almost boot-camp style training. For comparison, at my current (non-JF) club their response to my tall-person's inability to do a decent hip throw was to say "not to worry, we'll concentrate on throws better suited to your physique to build your confidence, and in any case you're coming along well." The Jitsu Foundation response was to have me do throws in front of the whole class, with a punishment of 10 pressups per mistake (feet too wide, insufficient knee bend &c.) payable at the end (lots of shouts of "WRONG! That's 10 more!").

    I do not know if I can be of any assistance but please let me know if there is any way I could help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In defence of the Swansea mob that's not our club style, yes you do do what ever technique it is in front of the class, but the worst you'll get is sighed at before sensei sorts out what you did wrong.
    Last night was a less formal session as sensei was away so one of the blue belts was helping me - he was keen to get me to nail it as I was nearly there. But reckoned after that maybe switching legs would have been a good idea. But then again I could have also said I needed to stop and have a break. So probably six of one, half a dozen of the other in the end.

    I've got mostly over the angry stage now and can concentrate on
    a) passing my exams
    b) sorting my leg out
    c) then and only then worrying about whether I'll go back to jitsu - as I said earlier, employment may solve this one way or the other for me, whatever my views.

    As ever the mental shock is greater than the physical one (though my hamstrings are shot to all hell today). Thanks for the offer of help though - it's appreciated :)

    If it helps - I'm rubbish at hip throws too!

    ReplyDelete